Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Quick Rant and Class Post

I don't know if I have ever ranted here before... I probably have but I have one quick one and since I have to post for my class this is all I could come up with right now.

I love Provo. I love Utah. Nobody else at BYU seems to. I am sick of it. I feel like all I here is the complaints of pretty much half of the students body at BYU complain about how much they hate Utah specifically Provo. They think it's too Mormon, too stereotypical, too boring, too sheltered with no real sense of "THE WORLD".  Well I am SICK AND TIRED! To everyone who has complained, guess what this is my home! How would you like it if all I ever talked about was how much I hate your home and where you live and how I hate your whole state. Maybe we are not worldly enough for you but guess what? We have many of the same problems your schools had. People tend to say that I didn't really get a true high school experience because everyone was Mormon. Well guess what there were drugs, there was teen pregnancy, there was drinking, and there was parties. I had two rival gangs in my high school that almost got into a gun/knife fight at my school during an assembly, and recently my school was targeted by students to blow it up and most of the people doing these things were MORMONS!

I am not arguing which is better your state or mine or who had it harder. I just wish people would enjoy Utah and not bash on it. I sometimes don't understand why people who hate it so much stay here. I mean cheap tuition and good programs are a draw along with the fact your parents probably forced you here.  I just wish you could see what makes me love this state.

I love:
The National Parks here
The camping
The changing seasons
The snow
The cold
The summer
The spring
The Fall
I love that there is so much history here
I love that there are so many temples around
I love that there are so many nice people (as I know there are in other states)
The mountains
The food
BYU
I love that Provo is so diverse and I can meet a lot of different people
I love that my family is mostly here

My list could go on but I will stop.  I would love to hear about what you love about your state. I have yet to go to a state that I haven't like. Sure there are things I don't like or I'm just not used to. I just wish that I could go a day where I didn't hear someone bashing on my home.

Ok. I am done. Feel free to ignore, comment, argue, enjoy, or feel any other emotion you might have towards this post. I would love to hear them!


4 comments:

Laurel C. said...

Uh oh. This is making me feel guilty for bashing on Colorado every other day. This is probably someone's HOME, too, and I am offending him/her. I better clean it up.

Also, I couldn't agree with you more. Utah is wonderful. I love it and miss it. And thank heavens it's supposedly not "the real world." What? These complainers want Utah to crime it up a bit? That would be better? (Insane.) I love that Utah is an oasis from all the crap the "world" has to offer and is family oriented. (Although, I agree with you again... it's pretty "real" in Utah.) Thanks for the rant. :)

Heather said...

I'm sorry if I've ever complained about Utah. The reason I don't want to be in Utah forever is because we want to be near family.

I also don't like driving on the Interstate and the people that get mad at me and honk and cut me off. It scares me. Granted, for this reason I've also decided we should never live in a large city anywhere.

I do think Utah is a great place. I love many of the things you do. I love the mountains and the beauty that surrounds us. Simon finally sees Utah as beautiful. :-) Hopefully not too much because I want to live near family!

Brooke Eddington said...

Heather I think all your reasons are perfectly OK. I don't expect everyone to be in love with Utah and want to spend the rest of their lives here. Depending on where Nathan goes to Med School we probably only have about a year left. I just don't like the people who rag on and on about how Utah is just a terrible place.

Laurel I am so glad you liked my rant I felt like everyone was just going to get mad at me. I do love that Utah is an oasis and maybe has a little less of "the world".

Zhinga Pahitu said...

You would think I could go on and on about what I love about California, especially since 99 percent (exaggeration) of the population could probably go on and on about what they love. Honestly, I don't think that I can. I LOVE UTAH! I love Provo and Utah County. Even with the 'stereotypical' people and the culture shock, its life! People are people and I've learned to love each of them regardless of belief differences. I have made so many amazing friends that are both members of the church and those who aren't. Not to mention, I'm am head over heels in love with the mountains. I get to wake up to them every morning and it is a short 20 minute drive to the canyon at any time during the day. After experiencing 37 inches of the most incredible powder in Sundance on Monday, how could I not be passionate about this place!

Utah has changed my life in so many ways that I never would have imagined. I've been given opportunities of a lifetime. After moving here almost two years ago, I couldn't be happier living anywhere else!

LOVE YOU BROOKE!