Monday, February 13, 2012

Photography on the Brain

Photography has definitely been on the brain as of late and penetrates my thoughts constantly. I am finally taking a photography class at BYU and have loved every minute and every assignment. I loved the opportunity to have a solid reason to do photography because now it's homework. I don't have to feel guilty anymore for going out and shooting instead of doing actual productive homework.

So the cause for the constant "photography on the brain" is because I have a final photography project and for my History of Creativity class I'm doing a photography final as well. For these two finals the only requirement is to take something I'm passionate about and tell a story. That should be easy right? Well I will tell you it's not and I don't think that photography is ever just easy. I have been struggling to find what I'm passionate about without being cliche (babies, flowers, hearts in the sand). I'm trying to find my "thing". The one "thing" that sets me apart from all the other want-to-be photographers. What will make my art worth looking at/remembering (which I know will take awhile and lots more hard work).

We have been talking in my class about actually THINKING before TAKING! Maybe this is not new to anyone else out there but it was kind of a new thought for me. In the world of digital photography it is so easy to just snap a picture mindlessly and then we rely HEAVILY on Lightroom or Photoshop to actually make a photograph. The idea of composing in my head, looking longer, and really investing in my shot is one that I have really had to push myself to do. My teacher shoots with this really old 1900s camera where every shot he takes is costing him about $40. That's some serious commitment to take a picture. Forty bucks a shot would drain me dry! Now I don't have much intention on shooting film but it brings a whole new perspective to shooting a photograph. 

Is there a real definite reason I'm taking this picture?
Will I want to look at this later?
Would I be willing to spend 40 dollars on this short? $50? $100?
If I take this shot will this photograph become more of a product of Lightroom than my actual skills?

These questions keep me thinking if this world, or just even my own art, is just going to become cluttered with a bunch of meaningless shots or will it become a work of art that is worth being remembered. Will my kids one day dump these pictures out or will they keep them and pass them down. 

So does this hinder whether or not I take photographs? Well maybe to some extent but I want to make more of my shots matter and become less of a product of Lightroom (even though I really do swear by the abilities Lightroom has). I want to actually be thinking instead of snapping everything that looks cool or that I think I might want to remember (like that moss on the Mayan temple... why oh why did that matter?). One thing my professor said was to ask ourselves is it worth printing? He also said you can't take a piece of TURD and turn it into a PEARL, it just won't work don't waste your VALUABLE time trying!

Maybe I'm thinking to much. Maybe I'm offending someone. But in order for my photography to become more of what I see it becoming I have to push myself and not be just another cliche photographer that makes edits through PICNIK (ugghhhhh). I want to be more and I want to learn more when I look through my lens instead of saying, "Sure, I guess I will take a picture of that. Maybe I can make it look great in Lightroom." I want it to look pretty dang awesome coming out of my camera to begin with and then make the LITTLE adjustments in Lightroom to make it Great.

I'm on a mission and won't stop until I have found my inspiration and that thing that I'm just super passionate about! So watch out... I'm reforming my photography ways!

1 comment:

Laurel C. said...

I love the questions you're asking yourself, and I need to think about these too. Specifically, I wonder: "Will anyone care about this picture after I'm dead?" I inherited my Grandpa Woolley's photography prints. He loved taking pictures of Alaska landscapes, but none of his pictures were really art. But I'm sure he had a great time taking them all. I'm not a professional photographer or photography student, so I have the liberty of saying, "I'm just shooting for fun," much like what my grandpa must have said. (And consequently, no one DOES care about his pictures now that he's dead.) The pressure you're under to create art must be immense. But I love the advice to "think" before taking a shot. I'm going to do that more, too. Because turds and pearls aren't even distant cousins. Overly Photoshopped photos are more and more common these days, aren't they? When I see one, something tells me that they're trying to cover up something. A turd, perhaps?

(PS. I'm glad to hear someone else hates the whole PICNIK editing thing, too. That's just photo vandalism.)

Thanks for a thought-provoking post! I enjoyed reading this...