Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Moments That Matter Most

Lately these days at work there seems to be a lack of things to do. Not because I'm lazy, but because external sources have made work coming in a lot slower. Typically, I stare at Facebook waiting for someone to chat with or read a million blogs but today was different. I have been needing a boost the last couple of weeks; I just haven't been my typical chipper self. I needed a pick me up.

Enter the church website lds.org and their YouTube channel MormonMessages. I spent my afternoon watching several  of these messages. All are beautiful and more than one brought me to tears in the middle of work. I guess I am a little emotional these days but these messages, all of them, are beautiful and uplifting.  I love hearing the voices of the men that make me love this church and the comfort their words and voices give. Those two things are probably what make me cry the most.

I love what the Church has done to reach out and use today's technology and resources to touch others. Today out of all the videos watched, and I watched most of them, my favorite came from the talk by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf. It's called Moments That Matter Most.

This video starts off with a little girl on a swing and I immediately think of all the times I have pushed my nieces and nephews on the swings and the simple joy it brings to their face. Then the video says "It's not so much the major events as the small day to day decisions that map the course of our living"- President Gordon B. Hinckley. As the video continues, it shows various moments in people's lives and the true emotion of those moments. Times when people fall or have bad news given; the moments of pure happiness and exceeding joy; the moments that are cherished more than things we could ever plan out. There is something I deeply love about seeing the mom go out and play in the rain with her children and I don't know if I can put into words why I love that part.

I love that it's all in slow motion. That the message is to slow down and really enjoy the moments that are right now whether good or bad but to "focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most. Strength comes not from frantic activity but from being settled on a firm foundation of truth and light. It comes from placing our attention and efforts on the basics of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. It comes from paying attention to the divine things that matter most."

Most of all I love the feeling I get when I see the girl on the swing again. I want to feel like that again. Pure joy. Pure simplicity. Pure happiness. This Gospel never ceases to renew my strength and make me really have a grander perspective.

"Moments are the molecules that make up eternity." -Elder Neal A Maxwell

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww... I get really sensitive about those things too. One moment I'm totally normal, the next I'm bawling like a baby, haha! Great post! I'll have to check out Mormon Messages more often. :)