Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Patience is a Virtue, So I Am Told

After the stress of finals were over, I more than realized it was time for a break. The stress of school, work, friendships, relationships, and just the everyday tasks were weighing on me harder than ever before.  I felt down trodden because I was not doing everything the way I wanted or the way that was expected of me. So all of that mixed with some important decisions that I have to make basically led to almost a mental breakdown. For about four days, I cried at least a couple times each day. So I made the decision to go home for a lengthy five day break.


I don't share this part of my life to seek sympathy or attention but to share two very valuable pieces of advice I got from my dad this weekend. My dad is the smartest guy I know, and the guy I go to with all my life woes to seek some of his sage advice.  He always makes me feel better or see things a little differently.


One: It's alright every now and then to take a break. It's ok to sometimes not always do your very best at everything. I was afraid that I had to have everything figured out and do well on everything and when I found myself doing poorly in a class and basically failing one of my finals I felt basically like a failure. I was all set and ready to give up. My dad first started by admitting to me that he failed a class. (My advice to parents is it can be really good to let your kids know you failed at something whether a class or something else.) Hearing my dad say that made me feel better; it made me feel like I was not some giant loser or the only person to have failed a final. He also said that it's good to take a break from things for awhile to just sort of get away from things.  But like any good father he helped me come up with a game plan for me; how to bounce back from the things that were stressing me out.


Two: He pointed out that patience is something I am lacking right now and need more of. Sometimes it's good to be proactive and really just try really really hard but sometimes you need to slow down and just be patient. I am a worrier and planner by nature and those two things can make being patient hard sometimes. My dad also said that patience is still working and trying but just being more understanding that your answer won't come right away. After talking with my dad, I went and read the talk by President Uchtdorf called "Continue in Patience" this talk was exactly what I needed to hear. President Uchtdorf described patience as the ability to put our desires on hold for a time and "It means staying with something and doing all that we can working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!" Knowing what patience really is has helped me and I know what I need to do and keep doing.


 I am also thankful for inspired church leaders who are in tune with the Spirit to know how we are feeling and what we need to hear. Patience is something I pray for and for once in the last couple months I am content with my life and where I am at. It will all get figured out... eventually.

4 comments:

scapegoat130 said...

Awesome post Brooke! I do the same thing with my dad as well :)

GayleV said...

Glad you got some calm advice-filled days. I always loved spring and summer because they seemed so calm compared to the hectic fall and winter!

DC said...

Patience isn't easy to come by, and I don't think you should feel too terribly defeated about it being difficult to have. Everybody wants things worked out for them as soon as possible, and things...they take time. You'll do well with your perspective, though. I've found optimism is one of the best qualities you can have.

Thanks for the comment on my blog, by the way. You should follow it, since it's kind of awesome. haha. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Ah, your dad is a smart guy. I've struggled with similar thought patterns. I'm slowly learning to slow down and savor life, otherwise I start freaking out, haha!