Thursday, April 7, 2011

My Thoughts on General Conference

I really do love General Conference! So much gets combined into one weekend that makes it always an enjoyable experience. Between seeing my family, the great food, or the great messages I hear it never seems to disappoint. Sitting with my family surrounding me and watching Conference has become a weekend I look most forward to.

Despite the often laughing, playing, or loud noises that seem to always happen with that many kids in one house, I was really touched this conference by how much I heard that answered my prayers. A lot has been on my mind and I think I just needed a little reassurance, and boy did I get it. All I heard this conference was how to overcome the pains, tests, and trials we face here in this existence (ok I did hear some about marriage but I'm not going to go there...).

We all go through our own dark places. We all deal with our own share of suffering and while I often thought that compared to some my struggles were probably easy, I realized something this weekend. My struggles are hard for me. I may not have some terrible physical condition or have lost people very close to me but I have endured my own suffering. It was hard for me and it may not be hard for anyone else but it was what I needed to grow. We all have those dark places in our heart and some may be worst than others, and some may linger in their dark place longer but regardless we all must experience some of this.

Mainly what I learned is that no matter what our struggles may be we all have them and it's just part of what we have to go through. My favorite thought/quote came from Elder Kent F. Richards talk in the Saturday Morning Session. He said that maybe we have suffer so much in this life to better understand what our Savior and Redeemer went through just like how our Savior came to earth so that he may understand what we are and would suffer in this life. It was the most beautiful thought and left me feeling reassured and with a new understanding.

I simply love conference and I hope that you all enjoyed Conference as well and felt the Spirit like I did.

2 comments:

GayleV said...

I love General Conference, too. I'll have to go back and listen to Elder Richard's talk again. I remember his talk, but didn't remember that part. It seemed that you hit on one of the major themes of conference (that I noticed.) There were several talks that seemed to focus around this theme!

Zhinga Pahitu said...

Maybe because of the many trials I've faced and been more tested than ever since moving to Utah, this conference affected me more than ever and gave the words I needed! I love our General Authorities and the great counsel they give <3