Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Photography Block

Have you ever just not been able to do something you love? I mean as in you just can't find the inspiration or the creativeness to do something you love? I would probably associate my situation to having writers block except mine is known as PHOTOGRAPHY BLOCK!!

In the last few months and in the few months to come I am preparing to turn in my photography portfolio. My deadline is in October so I have been compiling a tentative portfolio to show my professors. There are 3 professors and I have now talked to all of them and got a lot of feedback. My purpose to showing them my portfolio is to see where I stand, where I need to go, and what I can improve on. The first two gave me some good feedback; told me what they did and didn't like. But the third was a bit more honest with his criticism. And now I'm left with one major case of photography block!!

This professor was not mean, did not bash my portfolio, and didn't say I was a terrible photographer. He actually said that I was a good photographer, and he could see that in my pictures. There are 3 things a photograph should have according to him: Style (how you shoot a picture), Composition (The technical things aka. lighting, cropping, angle etc...), and Content (the subject in your picture is interesting. For a better explanation of this go here her post was inspired from me). Basically I have two out of the three things and the one I lack is the one that is harder to learn. Yeah that's right, it's content. Maybe you thought content would be easy but I strongly beg to differ. I can learn how to do the technical things but it's harder to learn how to MAKE someone FEEL something. Out of 24 photographs a total of 4 of my pictures had actual content. His favorite question was "why am I looking at this ____."

He gave me great advice and it was definitely advice I needed to hear. His advice will make me better but I'm stuck! I'm stuck like two gummy bears on a hot summer day. Every time I look through my camera the last few days I ask myself, "why would my professor want to see a picture of this____" and then I stop taking a picture. I have no inspiration or motivation to take pictures because I keep doubting myself and thinking my professor isn't going to want to see this or this probably won't make him feel anything or this is probably one he would say "goes to the scrapbook."

I have had several advice following my professors advice and words of encouragement. Like well think of what he didn't say. He didn't say my pictures all suck and you are not good at the technical stuff. That I just need to keep taking pictures and inspiration will come and you will get better as you take pictures and so on and so on. It's all good advice and I know it is what I need to do and is all true. I just have a hard time actually doing it. I have never been stuck with my photography and I don't know how to get unstuck. I have zero inspiration to pick up my camera and look through the hole and shoot because all those questions and self doubt I know will come flooding back. It's easier to just let my camera sit because then I can't doubt my photography. I don't know how to MAKE someone feel something or at least I haven't figured out how too yet. I just am stuck, badly stuck, and at the worst time because I only have 3 months to get my final portfolio together.

I don't know what to do. Everyone's advice is to keep taking pictures and it's good advice. But my camera makes me feel bad. It makes me doubt myself. It reminds me of my big project ahead: to make my professors feel something, not me, or anyone else, but these 3 professors. These 3 people hold my future in their hands. They decide whether I pursue my dream or I find a different one. My career is in their hands and that's my greatest fear.

I honestly don't want to do anything else. I have tried other majors and taken classes in other fields I am semi good at. None of them inspire me. But when I hold my camera in my hand, I have the power to stop time, to save a moment, to show people the beauty in something that is ordinary, and mainly to show people what I see. I love creating a picture and knowing that I saved a moment and the beauty that's in what I'm shooting. I love taking pictures and showing people how I see things. I am just stuck and I'm not sure how to get unstuck. I just hate the feeling of being stuck on something I really love doing. It honestly is the worst feeling ever!

So here are three pictures that I have taken during my "stuck" period, as I am now calling it, hope you find them somewhat interesting.





4 comments:

Laurel C. said...

WOW do I know how you feel! I am currently in a "Stuck Period" too. I went to a writing conference a month ago and started doubting the way I write. So now I feel frozen and unable to move forward with my writing. Just like you with your photography. I haven't written one single word of "real" writing since I got back from my conference. And I don't know how to "unstuck" myself either.

I've gotten the same advice that you're getting... just keep writing. But I'm experiencing the same feelings you are with your camera. Writing equals self doubt, and who wants that? So I don't write anything.

I'll be watching your comments section closely to see if anyone has any useful advice! It's a depressing spot to be in, isn't it?

GayleV said...

I have had "Photography Block" many times. I go through it at least once a year. My advice comes in 3 parts. First, and I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you HAVE to keep taking pictures. However, you also HAVE to remember that not EVERY picture you take has to be portfolio worthy. Don't put that kind of pressure on yourself. Not even the worlds best photographers create portfolio worthy shots every time they click the shutter. In fact, in all honesty, probably only 1 in every 300-500 pictures may be portfolio worthy. But if you don't do the work and take the other 299-499 pictures you will never get the ONES you just love and are worthy of showing.

Second, feel free to ignore the above advice and just put your camera down for a while. It is obviously causing stress and self-doubt. Occasionally, I have had to do this. However, when you do pick up the camera again, the above advice will still be true. You will still have to slog through all the so-so pictures to get the great ones.

Third, your content isn't as bad as you think. In fact, I would go so far as to say that your content isn't bad at all. You just need to show your chosen subject in a more compelling way that will make people seeing the photo want to look twice.

And now my advice ends. Do what you need to do but however you choose to over come this "block" don't let self doubt take over and paralyze you for long. If you do, you will truly be STUCK!!

Laurel C. said...

Gayle gives good advice! :)

Brooke :) said...

Laurel: It really is very depressing! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is feeling this way right now! I have been slowly taking more pictures and it's helped. I think it's just slowly doing a little bit everyday or just here and there.

Gayle: Thanks for the advice. You always help. I would probably go insane if I didn't have you so close to keep me somewhat sane right now!

Laurel: She does give good advice! :D